pet rat health insurance?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
echo2011

pet rat health insurance?

Post by echo2011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 am

does anyone know if its possible to insure a pet ratty? :???:
mummy to "Echo" the very lively rat :love: ..never forget you Hermione :love:

izzerie

Re: pet rat health insurance?

Post by izzerie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 am

I looked into it once and I think you can but it is incredibly expensive as rats are considered exotic. I think it was around £75-£100 per rat per year :o
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 am

The best I've seen was £6 per rat per month - at £72 per rat per year and a £50 excess, that can get expensive! Things like consultation and baytril wouldn't clear the excess, so you gain nothing, and de-nadding for behavioural issues etc wouldn't be covered by that policy.

The generally-agreed policy on this forum is that if you need a financial back-up of some sort, you're better off putting that insurance money into a separate bank account and using that solely for your rats - have their own card to pay with etc. Another option is to have a credit card set aside solely for ratty use too.

tl;dr - the insurance costs more than it's worth!
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

lavenderlush

Post by lavenderlush » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 pm

I didn't think you could insure rats, but looking at what they would maybe charge anyway (if you look at the costs of cats etc etc) it wouldn't be beneficial anyway. We've got 19 ratties and it's just a gamble on who will need vet care a lot and who won't. we keep a record of each ratty so see what treatment theyve had and when and we've got a 16 month old boy who's cost us over £200 in vets bills by the time he was 1, but on the other hand we've got some who have never cost a penny... yet! (... touches wood! :o ) So as was previous said, it's better to put what would be insurance money, aside to cover any vets visits you may need. In my experience, girls tend to cost more in terms of mammary lumps and boys tend to cost more with castrations and abscesses (and wounds due to scrapping), oh and resp issues are regular visits with Baytril meds on top. Dear do these ratties.... good job we love 'em soooo much :love:
My cheeky Girls: Buffy,Sweep,Pepper,Tinsel,Elf,Pinza,Melon,Papaya
My muscle men: Oscar, Nimbus,Raven,Zorro,Ollie,Hercules,Anson,Hermes,Hector,Ralph,Rory
Resting over the bridge: Snickers,Caramel,Fudge,Blueberry,Cherry