Abdomonal mass :0(

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
malude

Abdomonal mass :0(

Post by malude » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 pm

I have found a mass in Reuben's abdomen :( It's quite deep, you have to really poke about to find it. Can anyone tell me about likely sources of abdomen tumours and prognosis etc? He is 18 months old but I would be confident about choosing surgery for him. It is about the size of a small walnut but feels quite mobile so hopefully not attached to too much. But it is quite central so I guess could be very awkward.
Any words of wisdom? I can get him to the vet after work tomorrow to get him checked out and discuss options.
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Sorry I can't be much help, the only abdominal mass I can remember dealing with turned out to be a massively enlarged spleen. And that was sausage shaped. Have you tried the rat guide site? I hope it's something that can be removed easily :luck:
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Re: Abdomonal mass :0(

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 pm

I have no experience on anything like that, but I hope you and him are doing as well as can be expected :(
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

malude

Post by malude » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:47 pm

He is surprisingly OK, if Will hadn't felt it I would be none the wiser! He hasn't lost any weight and shows no signs of pain or feeling unwell. One of the newer boys is trying to dominate him a lot today which is unusual so whether he can sense that Reuben might be a bit weak or vulnerable I don't know...or maybe he's just getting too big for his boots :roll:
I shall report back after seeing the vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed for him, he is a super special boy with whom I have a particularly strong bond so I really hope he can come through this OK :(

sati18

Post by sati18 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 pm

The only mass i have ever had in an abdomen turned out to be a very nasty internal abscess that had grown around a boys bowell after a neuter. i don't know for sure whether the two were related but i suspect they may have been.

In all honesty in that situation if the rat was healthy enugh fr surgery i would be getting the vet to open him up and check it out asap. hopefully it's a harmless mass and can be removed, but if it's an abscess or some other nasty then time is of the essence. where exactly in his abdomen is it? has he had any recent neuter or surgery that could have caused an infection? any falls in the cage or indication of injury (another by had a haematoma that had to be surgically removed).

fingers crossed- i think getting a vet to have a proper look asap is the best course of action. maybe start him on synulox as a pre-surgery/abscess precaution.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

malude

Post by malude » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks. No recent surgery and no wounds. It really is very internal and almost perfectly central in the abdomen. Can get vet appointment tomorrow afternoon but earliest I could take him for surgery would be Monday unless I left him overnight on Thursday for op on Friday. Hmmm, will have to discuss with vet and decide on best option.
I used to only work 3 days a week (long days) so had loads of flexibility for vet trips. Now I work 5 short shifts a week, earlies and lates so much less flexible. I either can't get him there in the morning for an op or I wouldn't be able to pick him up afterwards. Aaaargh!!! :roll:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 pm

An internal mass should come up on an x-ray. Might be a good idea first up than going straight for surgery? I dunno though, let us know what happens at the vets :luck:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

lynz

Post by lynz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 pm

i had a string of these happen with my related girls, not nice :( . the first one, the lump was protruding out, i took her to vets straight away and the operated on her. they managed to remove the lump but unfortunately her blood pressure dropped and they lost her. with the 2nd girl, i took her in the next day again to have her operated on. again this lump was protruding. when the opened her they found tiny tumours all along her intestines aswell as the large mass,they phoned me while she was on the table, so we decided it was kinder just to let her go. with the next girls i found the lumps by checking their tums, they didnt protrude out, but we decided just to leave them be, and when the lumps started affecting them, i took them in. so unfortunately the outcome of these wasnt great, but all these girls were related and we believe there must of been some genetic problem. this isnt meant to put you on a downer or anything, this is just my experience and hopefully your boys case will be totally different.

keeping my fingers crossed its as simple as for your boy tomorrow :love:
bruce & his 2 bros! nibbles, pebbles, lola

sleep tight mummy rat 9/11/10, Bailey 9/12/10, Missy 28/1/11, Bob 31/1/11, Izzy 9/2/11, Dinky 7/3/11, Tink 13/6/11, Kizkiz 2/7/11
rip skitz, tumshie, dumbo, tubs, chino, oz's and all my childhood ratties

malude

Post by malude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks for all the replies, I much prefer honesty than beating around the bush. Have an appointment with a fab vet at 5pm.

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 am

Not Reuben :( Fingers crossed for the vets this evening :luck:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:46 am

Will be thinking of you and Reuben today.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:15 am

:(

Ripley-Roo has a fatty lump under her arm/on her side. It's not attached and it hasn't got any bigger since the vet saw it. This poor little family :( I hope Reuben is ok, keep us updated
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:04 am

good luck with your vet appointment x
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

malude

Post by malude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 pm

It seems fatty lumps run in this line, would the vet be able to tell the difference between fat, tumour and abcsess on x ray?

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm

I don't think so, I think they would be able to tell just by having a feel and poking a needle into it.
if it's fatty it should be able to move around, I can't say anything on the abscess as I've never experienced one before.

Hoping all goes well :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow: