Abdomonal mass :0(

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
debzratties

Re: Abdomonal mass :0(

Post by debzratties » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:22 pm

The last girl we had x-rayed showed up what the vet described as a solid mass, she said you wouldn't be able to tell from an x-ray if it was a tumour or an abcess so I presume it would also be the same for fatty lumps.

The only girl we've had with a lump within the abdomen turned out to be a liver tumour but that was high up and under her ribcage so hopefully it won't be that with Reuben, whatever it is though I hope it's not to serious and can be sorted :luck:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

malude

Post by malude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Vet thinks most likely scenario is a mass/tumour attached to spleen or intestine. I mentioned Reuben's poo has looked a bit different lately (jeez my life is glamorous :roll: ) so we think intestinal is most likely. He said in that case needling it carries a high risk of nicking the bowel and causing peritonitis so we decided against that. He suspects most likely outcome of opening him up will be finding we can't do much about it and of course carries the anaesthetic risk. As Reuben is otherwise healthy and happy and seems completely unphased by it we have opted to just monitor at the moment. I'm going to dip his urine to try and rule out bladder involvement and then if Reuben becomes unwell we can re-evaluate options. So here's hoping whatever it is is slow growing :(
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 pm

That sounds like a good plan, even if you can't predict the outcome right now :luck:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:39 pm

This is Reuben's half sister, Miffy's lump. It is a lot bigger now though :( :( :( They couldnt remove it but it has been slow growing x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

malude

Post by malude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:That sounds like a good plan, even if you can't predict the outcome right now :luck:
Thanks. I wouldn't like to lose him under anaesthetic and think we should have held off. At least now I know it's there I can monitor it and we can gauge how slow/quickly it is growing and will easily spot if it starts affecting how he is feeling and then re-assess.

Amzy, thanks for the link. Good to hear it's been slow growing. Hers is much nearer the surface than Reuben's, you have to really poke around his tummy to find it. Even if I hold him up you can't see anything protruding out of his abdo.

I'll keep people posted on how things go from here. Thanks for all the well wishes - here's the man in question...
:hearts:

tashapepa

Post by tashapepa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that my boy Melchior has had a similar thing.

I noticed an abdominal lump on him about 8months ago and they did an aspirate test at the vets which revealed that it was a fatty lump. Those kind of tests arent one hundred per cent accurate but apparently abdominal masses that are attached to organs etc on males can quite often be fatty lumps, so try not to worry.

Melchior's has grown alot over the past few months but he is oblivious to it at the moment. My man is a ripe old 30 months and going strong, so dont think this is necessarily a terrible health issue.

:luck:
Melchior, Moritz RIP

malude

Post by malude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:36 pm

tashapepa wrote:Hi there,

Just wanted to say that my boy Melchior has had a similar thing.

I noticed an abdominal lump on him about 8months ago and they did an aspirate test at the vets which revealed that it was a fatty lump. Those kind of tests arent one hundred per cent accurate but apparently abdominal masses that are attached to organs etc on males can quite often be fatty lumps, so try not to worry.

Melchior's has grown alot over the past few months but he is oblivious to it at the moment. My man is a ripe old 30 months and going strong, so dont think this is necessarily a terrible health issue.

:luck:
That's reassuring, thanks :D

lynz

Post by lynz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm

what a gorgeous chap!! sorry to hear the outcome isnt great, but hopefully he'l still have a good few months left with you :love:
bruce & his 2 bros! nibbles, pebbles, lola

sleep tight mummy rat 9/11/10, Bailey 9/12/10, Missy 28/1/11, Bob 31/1/11, Izzy 9/2/11, Dinky 7/3/11, Tink 13/6/11, Kizkiz 2/7/11
rip skitz, tumshie, dumbo, tubs, chino, oz's and all my childhood ratties