A question of poop...

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Truehau

A question of poop...

Post by Truehau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Sorry about the title :lol:

I haven't had the internet too much recently (it's taken virgin a month to give a date for a new installation after cocking up) but I do have some rat things now :dumbo:

Before the internet (hotspot) runs out I just wanted to ask a couple of questions to put my mind at ease.

I can't recall which topic I saw it in, but I can remember reading that young rats can have quite pongy poops, and especially on their first days they can smell quite a bit due to stress. Outside of illness, is this likely the smelliest they'll get? It can pong when right over the litter box (the joys of picking up poop and transferring it there :sickrat: ) but outside of that it isn't too bad.

Also the poop is a little loose. Not runny or anything, but when I pick it up (yay disposable gloves) to move to litter box/clean it tends to stick to/smear across the gloves/tissue. Is that normal, or in time when they are calm should it become more solid and dry like hamster poop?

I really used the word poop too much just now :lol:
Hopeful rat owner in a few months time

ErnieG!

Re: A question of poop...

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Expect stress/confused poos for no more than a week after you get them.
If they are babies, because of the extra protein they will smell more than say adults/oldies with less protein.
The extra smelly and loose poos will go away with time though :)
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Truehau

Post by Truehau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

ErnieG! wrote:Expect stress/confused poos for no more than a week after you get them.
If they are babies, because of the extra protein they will smell more than say adults/oldies with less protein.
The extra smelly and loose poos will go away with time though :)
Thanks. I can remember reading that both youth and stress can cause a bit of a pong, but I thought I'd ask so if my Dad started grumbling I could tell him it'll get better :lol:

Also unrelated to the topic, but on the information page, it mentions getting to know the rats as 20 minutes per rat per day...is it a good idea when they're a bit trusting to handle each one by itself outside (on my bed etc) so they have to interact, or to have them all out at the same time, but just try to spend 20ish minutes interacting with each one so they don't get nervous? I suspect handling individually is best at the start so they can get use to me/trust me...

I'm just a bit nervous about the taming/socializing with them, as I ended up going too quickly with my hamster. He was never aggressive or bit me in anger, but he was very skittish and unsure about me :(
Hopeful rat owner in a few months time

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Truehau wrote:Also unrelated to the topic, but on the information page, it mentions getting to know the rats as 20 minutes per rat per day...is it a good idea when they're a bit trusting to handle each one by itself outside (on my bed etc) so they have to interact, or to have them all out at the same time, but just try to spend 20ish minutes interacting with each one so they don't get nervous? I suspect handling individually is best at the start so they can get use to me/trust me...

I'm just a bit nervous about the taming/socializing with them, as I ended up going too quickly with my hamster. He was never aggressive or bit me in anger, but he was very skittish and unsure about me :(
Both approaches work :) What I'd suggest, if it's possible, is making sure you spend time handling each one individually, but also having them out as a group so they associate you with fun and playtime rather than just being picked up. Laying down in a safe area (I use a playpen) with a blanket over you is a good way to bond with them - the blanket provides somewhere warm and safe to hide, and it again means they associate your smell with fun and interesting things to explore :) (Loose clothing makes for additional tickly fun :lol:)
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...