Advice with babies

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Razcox

Advice with babies

Post by Razcox » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:13 am

As some of you may know from my other thread we ended up with two baby girls last night (as yet still un-named) they are only 4 1/2 weeks old and a little skinny (the light one weighs about 50g something the dark one 70g something but will have to find the better scales to know the full weight) they were taken from mum at 3 weeks and been eating fine we were told but so far they have not moved from one corner of the cage near the top. I moved them onto the level so they could have a drink which they did but and they then went to one of the hammocks.

They are now huddled in the hammock and are frozen soild in fear :cry: and i am unsure of how best to proceed. Do i go sit in the room with them quietly, stay downstairs and leave them alone or interact with them and force them to get used to me? I have never had rats quite like this before even the ones that were dumped and younger then this we took in were at least happy to run about in there cage. I am also worried that they dont seem to have eaten anything other then a current i put on the level with the water bottle to try and temp them down. Should i try them with a bit of scrambled egg or again leave them alone to calm down?
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

Jemma

Re: Advice with babies

Post by Jemma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 am

They are obviously going to take a little while to get over there scary start in life. Out of interest are they in with your other girls, if not then assuming yopur girls are young I would consider putting them together. They will take reassurance from older more stable rats, after all they’ve gone from being looked after by there mum, to being in just with there siblings and now to being on there own.

I would then leave them in a quiet room for around 24 hours, with pleanty of tempting food, scrambled egg is a good start, something mushy like egg food made up with milk, or even porridge, maybe some smelly cat food and some very plan dry food mix (which may be familier to them). I would have a bottle of some sort of milk in there as well as one of water.

Other things to consider is how big is the cage there in. If it’s a full sized rat cage move them into something smaller temporarily, something the size of an (unsuitable for hamsters) hamster cage would be a good idea, or a big cat carrier if you’ve got one. They will feel more secure in a smaller space, and whilst long term you do want them to get used to there surroundings it sounds like it’s a lot for them to take in right now.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks for the tips! I dont have my other girls yet we are getting them next week sometime. I was a little unprepared for these babies so we made a hasty trip to ASDA last night to get them some fresh food, i have opened a tin of the cat food i brought and placed that in the cage with them. I picked out a prawn and placed it in the hammock with them and the light girl was eating it when i left. Will fill the smaller water bottle i have with a bit of milk for them.

The caage they are in is a tom62, i rearranged some of the stuff before putting them in it so there was as much of a fall from the top to the bottom. I dont have any other cages and just have a medium pet carrier i got from Rat rations, i gave all my other cages to a local resuce during a clear out last year. Will look in the shed though to see if i kept the cage we were given a hamster in that i then used as a travel/ICU hospital cage. Its not very big though, the other option is my Mum still may have one of my old zoo zones in there loft but wouldnt be able to get this until the weekend . . .
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

scoobylyn

Post by scoobylyn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:45 am

Personally when I have had feeder bred stock in who have never been handled and lived in RUBS I put them onto a very milky mix of Quiko, Readybrek, Sweetcorn and some Natures Diet Puppy food and they do lap that up.

Handling wise I get them out and into a dressing gown or under a fleecy blanket and let them explore. I have always been of the thought that they are young enough to learn so keep it nice and quiet and have snuggly times. It has never not worked.

Well done for taking them, yes they are far too young and small but better with you than where they are. Not sure I could have left the others behind though :cry:
http://www.brammocksrattery.co.uk - breeding for Russian & British Blue, Black Eyed Siamese and Burmese
http://www.raundsratrescue.co.uk
http://www.snugglefuzzies.co.uk - luxury hammocks and bedding for ferrets, rats and other furries.

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Well when i left for work they hadnt touched the egg/catfood mix i had left them. I had to use a whole egg of course and only gave them a little so i gave the leftovers to the dogs, which they thought was great! On the plus side they were still in the hammock but snuggled together alseep rather then frozen so hopefully they are claming down a bit.

Will check on them again when i get home and will have some snuggle time tonight on the bed later.

redrach

Post by redrach » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

You're doing a great job, sometimes it just takes time.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 am

Well last night and today they were out the cage and seem fine with being handled, they are very licky and are happy to eat food given to them by hand. They tucked into some egg, shredded wheat, meal worms, noodles and nuts. They had no interest in a lot of there mix but that will come with time i am guessing, at least they are eating something! They also had a good drink of milk and lapped it off our fingers which is great.

They just seem really nervous in their cage so i am trying to hunt down a smaller one for them like a hamster cage they were in, i am going to treat them a little like the ex battery hens we had. As much as we would have loved to have given then the whole field to run about in we had to start with a small run and build them up to it over time. I am going to do the same with these two. So looking for a 2nd hand cage today but if i dont have any luck then will look around some pet shops tomorrow and see what i can get them. Going to hate seeing them in a small cage but if this is going to help them settle and be happy with us for a couple if weeks then so be it.

Oh and BTW my husband has named them the lighter girl is now Noodle (because she likes noodles) and the darker girl is charlotte because he thinks she looks like a charlotte! Will post some more pictures soon and try to figure out what colour they are. The darker girl looks like a russian blue to me but the lighter one i am not sure about.

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:03 pm

It sounds to me like those little ones have got you and your OH wrapped round their little ratty fingers! They've got you feeding them by hand and they're not really bothered with their rat mix, because they're getting shredded wheat, noodles and nuts. Oh they're good ... they're really, really good. Next thing, you will be posting that they really quite like broccoli, but only in a cream and garlic sauce and only if you feed it to them on tiny, silver teaspoons. They are very lucky little rats to have found you :hearts:

Just a thought, but could you borrow a smaller cage from someone. I am not sure where you are, but I've got a small hospital cage you could borrow.

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Hahaha yeah that sounds about right, normally i would play hard ball but they were just so slinny i was more worried about getting food into them then anything else. Managed to get them a smaller cage which they are much happier in now and already shown more interest in there rat food not they feel less stressed in the cage. Put some pictures on of them in it, its not a long term cage but will do for now to help them settle a bit.

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I've just seen - it is a lovely cage. My little girls were happier in a smaller cage until they found their feet ... then they adored the space in the big cage. Your little ones are just gorgeous ... :hearts:

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm

When I got my first girls I put an old tshirt of mine in with them so they associated my scent with a warm safe place. I've done this with any nervous rat since (not that the first 3 were!) and it seems to help settle them when being handled. (now I use a face cloth that I put on my pillow for a night or 2 or I'd run out of clothes!)
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture