A new type of coat?? *TONS of pictures and info*

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
CLDobby99

A new type of coat?? *TONS of pictures and info*

Post by CLDobby99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 am

Sorry to everyone, in advance, for this long post! :oops:

This is my first time posting here and I'm hoping I have some exciting news!
Here goes the history....

I had a Seal Point Siamese dumbo(standard smooth coat) whom was bred to a black berkshire (both standard ears and coat). She had a litter of 11. A mixture of Siamese and Self-Blacks with standard smooth coats. Some were dumbos. Some had the standard ears. Nothing strange or out of the ordinary. I kept back the nicest dumbo male.
That same black berk male had also been bred with a black and white variegated dumbo female (standard smooth coat). Their litter consisted of varying colors and patterns. Some dumbos. Some standard top ears.
Now, back to that litter of 11....when the nicest Siamese dumbo male was old enough, he was bred back to his Siamese dumbo mother. Again, nothing strange or out of the ordinary.
HOWEVER, when he was bred with the black and white variegated dumbo female (the same one that his father had been bred with in the past), some very strange little things were born....two, to be exact. Two curly whiskered fuzzy things!! I had been told perhaps I stumbled upon a recessive Rex, as they did look very similar to Rex babies (for a pretty good amount of time actually). I was also told that they were just hairless babies (this, I was told, was still in the first week of them being born) and I would definitely be able to tell for sure around 2-4 weeks of age. Well, unfortunately, the female died before two weeks of age. The male is still alive, is doing very well, and is an adorable little fuzzy thing!! I still have no idea what he is....he is not a Rex or a hairless....nor any other coat type I've ever seen. I ended up keeping him and a couple of his Siamese dumbo (smooth coat) sisters.
I obviously did the same pairing again. The Siamese dumbo male with the black and white variegated dumbo female. And again, I got two strange little ones!! There was one male and one female (just like the first litter). And just as before, one died within the first week...this time, the male. So out of four, two male and two females, I have one male and one female.
Once the strange male....well, his name is Dobby. And I've been calling them "Dobby" rats. However, if it is in fact something new, I'm not sure if I'd be able to call them "Dobby" rats as I'm unsure whether or not there are copyrights pertaining to Dobby in the Harry Potter movies??....anyways, back to the story....once Dobby and his normal looking Siamese dumbo sisters were old enough, I put him and one of them together.
Three weeks later or so, she had her babies. There were nine total. Out of these nine, there were three strange ones!! One was the runt and didn't live long. And then another looked like it had been buried and forgotten. So now there are only seven babies, one being a "Dobby" rat. This was her first litter though, so perhaps she isn't the greatest of first time moms. I can't help but think that this might be a kind of weak new line though. Only time will tell. I'm keeping quite good notes.
And we are now at present time.

And now time for a LOT of pictures.....
Here are the parents of the "Dobby" rats...

The father. A Siamese dumbo. And as you can see, a very standard, smooth coat.

The mother. Black and white variegated dumbo. And again, a very standard, smooth coat.

Here were the babies when they started getting some fur (before this, they were just pink little things with curly whiskers.). I did notice that they seemed to develop their coat slower than their standard smooth coated siblings.

A day or two over 2 weeks old (this is my love, Dobby). He was much wavier than the pictures show.

Here he is a little older.
So cute. Cleaning his face! :hearts:
And again, this picture doesn't show it too well...but he was very wavy. The absolute perfect way to describe how his hair looked, is finger waves on short hair.

A little older and going through a major molt (and looking pretty ridiculous, if I do say so myself. Haha!)

Slightly older. He never got bald anywhere. He has a short, strange coat all over.

And current. He went from finger waves, to a strange fluff while molting, to an all over thin coat, to a strange shortish coat with crazy long fibrous looking hairs EVERYWHERE(the best thing to relate them to are those terrible clear fibers that go in your eye and you can't see them and they drive you nuts until you finally manage to get it out).
It's very hard for me to get a good picture of his coat...as my camera isn't very good.
My beautiful boy :hearts:

And this isn't the greatest picture, but the thing it does show decently is his crazy hairs that go everywhere. Honestly though, the best way to see him, is in person.

CLDobby99

Re: A new type of coat?? *TONS of pictures and info*

Post by CLDobby99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:02 am

I hope all of that made sense :)

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:32 am

He's look like a double Rex to me :D
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:37 am

Yes, he kind of looks like a double Rex....But his parents aren't Rex. There are no Rex in his lines for as far back as I know. In person, he's quite a bit fuzzier than a double Rex also.
He has me very confused!!

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:51 am

I think as someone already said they could be carrying the resesive rex.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Rhona

Post by Rhona » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:26 am

id say double rex too, on a side note has mum recently had mites? her wee ears look a bit scabby
Rhona and the scunnerbug rats xx
"Experience is simply the word we give to our mistakes"

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:30 am

How old is he now?

to me he looks like a particularly hairy, hairless. i wouldn't be surprised if with future moults he became totally hairless. but then i'm definitely no expert on varieties. he's certainly a cutie anyway. i hope you get some more answers soon.

also if your in the UK Ht would probably be wise to john the "NFRS" the National Fancy Rat Society. they'd be the one's best equipped to discuss weather this is something altogether new or a spontaneous appearance of recessive hairlessness or rexing. i'd be very interested to read future comments x
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:07 am

I'm actually in California....and quite tired as it's 3 in the morning here.
But yes, the mom (and most of my other rats) were healing from a terrible and incredibly frustrating (long story) mite experience when those pictures were taken :(
Wasn't he too hairy as a baby to think he's going to be a hairless? I've never bred hairless rats before though, so I don't know. And since rex is dominant and double Rex is the result of two Rex breeding, how would it be possible that he would be a double Rex?
I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. Any question I ask, never take it as rude, I'm just trying to understand and learn everything I can.

toyah

Post by toyah » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:11 am

He looks like a hairless to me - there are a few "hairless" genes and some of them have more fur than others (none are entirely hairless). You can select them for being more hairless, if you continnue with the line. They tend to be stronger and easier to breed than the naturally very hairless genes, but still weaker than normally furred rats in general.
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:13 am

Is coat looks similar to my nieva who I think is a double Rex she has a extremely soft lamb type fuzz over her body is warmer to touch then then rest and very gorgeous!
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:35 am

:love: he is lovely .i would say double rex or hairless i had some hairless babies from unplanned litter from a haired mother they had just a bit less fur than yours but as the maulted they became more bald.
ill try and find some pics :love:

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:45 am

heres one its hars to see but he was the hairiest of the babies that became hairless he also had the curly whiskas like yours

this is what they grew into

the pics arnt that good it was before i had a decent camera but may give you kind of an idea good luck :luck:

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 am

Sorry if I miss anything...there were more responses than I had expected!
I can't remember exactly (I don't have the greatest of memory), but I think he is around 4+ months now. I don't have my notebook with me. And I had been told that a good number of litters for a female is 3 and that a good starting age for them is between 3-4 months old. Is that correct?
It seems as if the majority say is that he looks like/is a double Rex. Now how will that work with breeding? As it seems as though it's recessive....will I ever get Rex? Or will they always come out this strange double Rex type rat?
And his coat isn't silky smooth...it's strange and very hard to explain. It's both soft and rough at the same time.
Also, does anyone have any progression photos of both hairless and double Rex rats from when they were born until they were much older?
Last edited by CLDobby99 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 am

By the way, beautiful little ratties, myzoo!!
I love their old man beards :lol:

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 am

I don't really have any knowledge about hairless/rex genes, but just wanted to put forward my thoughts about breeding ages and number of times to use a doe.

I haven't started breeding yet, but will be mating up my first 2 does at the end of this month. These does were born in August and September last year, which will make them both round about the 1 year mark when bred. I know this is quite late, and later than most people will breed, but I'm part of a larger breeding group who are pushing to lengthen longevity by careful breeding taking a number of factors into consideration. Have a look at our website for a little more information. I believe though that most people would start breeding at round about the 6 month mark - to me 3 months seems so young, and the doe is less likely to be physically mature enough to cope with the strains of having a litter. Forgive me for saying, but the little vari doe doesn't look in particularly good condition, which makes me think that perhaps she has been bred either too young, too many times or a combination of the 2.
I plan to only breed from a doe once, unless she proved to be a fantastic mother who had some trait that was particularly desired. If she were to be mated again, she would have a good long rest between litters. The thing that jumped out to me as a little worrying was that the little vari doe was mated twice within a 4 month period (possibly less, as I'm only going by how old you're saying Dobby is), which really gives her no time to recover from her pregnancy and nursing.
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston