Visit to a rodent farm (with pics!)

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Tunguska

Re: Visit to a rodent farm (with pics!)

Post by Tunguska » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 am

rattilover wrote:i do think it should be that you tar all pet shops with the same i know 1 pet shop who i would use who has breeders supply with care sheets even there own details u can go round there etc.

The man who owns this rodent farm is working hard on providing care sheets to the pet shops for all animals he sells, which the pet shops can provide to their customers. He believes pet shops should be better informed on how to keep and care for small animals (I am aware that, coming from him, this may sound a bit like a contradictio in terminis) and is quite passionate about it. He's also in (at least one) committee with the aim of improving knowledge on small animals. It is a good thing that pet shop you know provides contact details of the breeder, but this man is also happy to show people around in his company - he was on a Dutch rat forum once and invited everyone to come and have a look, even though they were absolutely hostile; I was disappointed that no one bothered to go and see for themselves. And he also provides care sheets. Bottom line: there are enough animals in rescues and the proper rat breeders try to work hard on improving health, life span and character of the species. I'd much rather support them through word, money and in the case of rescues relieving them of some rats every now and then than support a rodent farm or hobbyist breeder.

I would like to add that I don't think this man is pure evil. Animal welfare is something we are all very passionate about, and he is just not of the same opinion. He is not breaking the law. For instance, I am aware that some cheap products such as clothing are made by children in poor countries. However, I do not actively seek for brands that ban this practice. Although I know it's going on, and I do think I shouldn't buy 'bad' products, I don't always think of it when out shopping. I'm supporting a trade just as horrible as the pet trade and I think many people on this forum do. Of course, this is just an example; if you're one of the good guys that is very strict in buying 'good' brands, there's probably some other horrible situation in the world you're aware of but not doing anything about. And, as my boyfriend claims: being aware of a horrible situation and not doing something about it makes you about as guilty as when you're participating in it.

It has taken me years to realise someone who doesn't care too much about animal welfare isn't per sé a bad person. Like cub's grandmother, for instance. :)

This said, because I do feel passionate about animal welfare, I do think this information should be spread and people should stop buying from pet shops alltogether.

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

That was very well put Tunguska!
Emma & the furries x x

Mcfluff

Post by Mcfluff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 am

Tunguska, I just want to say how much I appreciate your sharing these photos and account of your visit to the rodent farm. Your original post is presented in a measured, unemotive way and allows your observations and photos to speak for themselves in a way far more powerful than an angry rant. (I'm afraid if I'd seen this place, I'd have dissolved into tears and angry ranting, which would be no use to anyone.)

Anyone arguing for petshops not to sell animals, anyone campaigning for better conditions at rodent farms, has got plenty of material in this thread to support their argument, in a way that could never be accused of being biased or emotional.

Thank you for this.
Jacqui, Mum to Bella, Phoebe and Mr "Fred" Croup
and sadly missing Jeera, Dhana, Kizzy, Tasha, Nico, Amber, Saffy, Opal, Ruby, Trinny and Ziggy

ancient-crone

Post by ancient-crone » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Golly. Just to think my old boys probably had a start like that.
As everyone has said if there was ever an image to stop and make you think, then that one of the warehouse is probably it.
I can see how he could be in this trade and still care for his animals.
I am sure livestock farmers can be genuinely fond of the animals they breed for meat.

It was very shocking though, and very upsetting.
I hadnt thought of it on that scale before. I have often wondered how people selling to the petshops make money, because as any of the breeders on this forum point out, there is no profit for them. So it has to be on a scale like this.
Rambling now.
poor little animals.
Treacle, Mocha, Patches, Snug, Blot, Buttercup, Pinch, Frodo, Berkley and Gimli
Cookie, Abelard, Bhoot, Kato, Ratchet, Satchmo, Widget, Hubert, Tomberley, Bumble Bee, Optimus Prime, Cosmo, Nibbly, Rasselas :halo:

ratsrule4

Post by ratsrule4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:10 pm

What you just said made me think. I understand he cares for his animals now and thats great. Its just hard to see animals in that condition..its very upsetting to me because I am a animal freak lol. I think its great that someone who cares about his animals is running that bussiness instead of someone who doesnt. But there is one thing I completely dissagree with and will stand by that forever, those "cages" are way too small. There is no room for 1 rat in there, let alone 3. Its just not right :o . If he would take the time to get a little bit bigger "cages" for those rats then it would be a whole nother story dont you agree? I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm speaking my mind. We can agree or we can agree to disagree :wink:

And that is how I feel

Tunguska

Post by Tunguska » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Oh, I completely agree the cages are awful - and not alone the cages, but also the way they are handled, the stuff they are fed, the complete lack of enrichment, the way they are kept and bred from and then discarded. I'm not even sure he cares for his animals, and he certainly does not care for them the way we do. I think it's completely wrong and should be banned altogether, even if he got bigger cages. That's why I posted those photos.

But I do not feel it is in our place to call someone evil, as we all do bad things all day too or are aware of bad situations but do nothing to improve it. But that's perhaps a bit of a phylosophical rant I felt I had to make ;)

ratsrule4

Post by ratsrule4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:36 pm

I agee with you completely! Those poor animals are used for breeding their whole lives then fed to a snake! That is very cruel but I do not think of him as evil.

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:59 pm

Should a human be kept in conditions like this by another human we would feel somewhat outraged - well I would! so for me, to keep an animal like this is no better... :-?
Love, Kt.
All my ratties live on forever in my heart, forever loved. xxx
North of England rat society

Debs

Post by Debs » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:02 pm

I've seen pictures like this before, unfortunately :cry:

Many of the big petshops now realise that presentation is everything, and display their rats "nicely" with toys, Carefresh or whatever, and customers seem to forget the origin of the animals is still exactly the same as it always was. I am sure that no genuine animal lover would want to support this.
Deb & the New World Rats

Rasboozy

Post by Rasboozy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:22 pm

I feel really really bad, some of my boys came from petshops. And in all honesty, I never really knew why petshop rats were fround upon so severly. I knew people felt strongly about not getting rats from petshops, but i've never understood why until now. I really do love animals, Ive been a veggie for over 10 years as the thought of killing something for my own enjoyment (enjoyment of eating meat and not enjoyment of killing) has never been something ive compromised on.

I personally believe that everyone has a basic right. The right to eat meat, the right to buy from petshops, the right to breed rats..... but i honestly do believe that no amount of excuses, money, or lack of humanity is EVER acceptable in keeping any animal in those sorts of conditions. He breeds those rats as pets, if hes breeding them as pets, he should treat them like pets. After all, those rats arent looking up at him with their big soppy eyes, with £ signs tattooed on their heads! :evil:

No doubt there are a lot of people in the world, and maybe a few people on here that disagree with me, after all thats their right to. As to me, those pictures are just another reminder of what type of world we are living in....

Rackie

Post by Rackie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:39 pm

What a brilliant post, I don't think a lot of people understand fully the extreme of what 'rodent farms' are when the term is used. It's so sad to think that so many rats have started their lives off like that, and that for some they don't have a better life to look forward to at all :(
Rackie and the Symphony Rats

Rasboozy

Post by Rasboozy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:46 pm

i know certainly for me, but i hope this post has helped other people like me understand the true horror of the conditions that pet shop rats are kept in. I know i am a little wiser now. And its totally changed my perspective on it. BRAVO to whoever got this thread up and running :D :hearts: 8

andybhoy

Post by andybhoy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Firstly, thank you Tunguska, for proving so perfectly that a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. The pictures you've posted, from what may prove to be one of the better rat farms, can say more than I ever could against the pet trade.

Secondly, I feel so profoundly sad just now - on a par with how I felt when I saw the South African rats in another thread, living in a bucket of filth, waiting to be fed live to snakes. Regardless of the law, regardless of whether this man cares, regardless of how many millipns of folk don't care, this_is_wrong. These animals are living short, scary and miserable lives.

6 of my 7 are from pet shpos and although I had already resolved to never use one again, this strengthens that resolve greatly. All my girls came from mothers who lives in tiny tubs, permanently pregnant or nursing, and then fed to snakes. All my girls started life in a soulless warehouse, where they were nothing more than any tin of beans or packet of biscuits.

I'm off to cuddle my girls and think about what I've done. I adore them, and would not change them for the world. I would not, even if I could. Instead I'll live with the knowledge that I helped facilitate that misery by being a part of the chain.

PrideRavyn
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by PrideRavyn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:59 pm

andybhoy wrote:Firstly, thank you Tunguska, for proving so perfectly that a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. The pictures you've posted, from what may prove to be one of the better rat farms, can say more than I ever could against the pet trade.

I've just said pretty much the same as this by PM - these pictures just show everything we all spend hours trying to explain, in a handful of photos that speak thousands of words.
Ali and the Rodden Breck!
Brecklagh Rattery - Breeding for Variegated and related markings in Russian Blue and Black

A STATEMENT regarding Melanistic Agouti and our breeding plans.

ritzy

Post by ritzy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:44 pm

i keep coming back to this thread to write something but everytime i do words fail me
http://www.chumster.co.uk/forum/index.php?mforum=ritzy

:rainbow: R.I.P raggie, woodie and pop, crackle, bruce, tig, pete, cliff, snap and roy