2 old boys..worried

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Angels_storm

2 old boys..worried

Post by Angels_storm » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Caspa and Merlin are around the age of 3 now, Caspa is ok hes stil his normal hyper self, but Im getting worried about Merlin,

A few days ago he gave me such a fright, I went to check on them to find him laid on his side, looking very still, I spoke to him and got nothing, he was staring blankly, I ended up picking him up, he slowly turned and looked at me as to say wha!!

The last few days he has become very disinterested in anything, every morning they get a treat same time every day, nomally they are up the bars of the cage and out the door, this morning my OH didnt get any response from merlin, he waved the treat right under his nose, he could see Merlin was breathing so decided to leave him, when I came downstairs I got him out for a cuddle, he seemed ok just to quiet

Im really concerned about him, not really much advice any one can give but its been so long since I have been around a rat this age

Im getting married next saturday and we have booked a honeymoon, a girl from here has very kindly offered to look after them for the time we are away but Im so scared of leaving him,

I dont think a rat tucked down my wedding dress and taken to the hotel would go down to well!!
mom to 4 beautiful boys... Moosk, Ben & Jerry, :love:

Merlin & Caspa ..Run Free at Rainbow Bridge :rainbow:

neeshkabeesh

Re: 2 old boys..worried

Post by neeshkabeesh » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Has it been very hot where you are? It may be a bit of heatstroke. I'd take him to the vets before your hols. Congrats by the way :)
Neesh (now ratless)
An end to MS
Brysons Animal Refuge, Tyne and Wear rehome rats, take a look under Rehoming > Choose an Animal > Small Animals

Angels_storm

Post by Angels_storm » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:10 am

Hi

thanks for the reply, they are next to a window, I didnt realise that they can get heat stroke, thanks for the suggestion, I have now moved them and wil see how they go

(Im still working out a way to see if he will fit in or on my wedding dress somewere!! I have layers of tulle Im sure I can make him a lil pocket!!)

x
mom to 4 beautiful boys... Moosk, Ben & Jerry, :love:

Merlin & Caspa ..Run Free at Rainbow Bridge :rainbow:

fern

Post by fern » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:17 pm

:( this isnt too good! hope you and OH sort something out :(
dear old boys. looking forward to meeting them if i get the chance in the next couple of days when they stay with me :)

x
Mouse <3
R.I.P:misty,ronnie,roxy,munch,magic,shadow,angel,volta,roger,jack, luna <3 daisy,bluebell,izzy,bella,ebony,minnie,blue,gaz,jonny, milka,

ROCKLANDS

Post by ROCKLANDS » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 am

Hi,

I have just gone through the same thing with one of my Dumbo rats. He wouldn't come out of his igloo for treats, when i got him out for his play time he just moved around really slowly with his eyes half opened and he would not go up to the top of the cage to his hammock, i was really worried about him, i thought he was going to pass away by the time i took him to the vets. This went on for a day and then i took him to the vets on Monday. The vet checked him over and could not find anything wrong with him and gave him antibotics just in case he had an infection, i just put it down to old age him being two years of age. Tuesday evening after two doses of antibotics he started to look a bit better, Wednesday morning he was up and waiting for his morning treat, i let him last night and he was running about everywhere. Hope this information helps you, it really scared me i thought i was going to lose him.