Intro help please!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
izzerie

Intro help please!

Post by izzerie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 am

I'm trying to introduce my 12 week old babies, Ivan and Mozart, to my group of four older boys- Albert (11 months, castrated), Samson and Pablo (7 months, intact) and Sidney (16 months, intact). They've been put together on a number of occasions now and the result is always the same. The babies always seem terrified- they spend most of the time in a corner together up on their hind legs squeaking and squealing. The bigger boys aren't bothered by the babies at all, at most all they try and do is sniff them, most of the time they just curl up and sleep! There's no aggression at all, they're just scared. After about half an hour or so sometimes Ivan will venture away from Mozart and try to sniff one of the boys but as soon as they move to find out what is sniffing them he squeals and runs away!

How can we move on from this point? Is it just a case of keep trying? Am I being too soft by worrying about them? My other intros have been dead straight forward between the older boys and the girls so this is a new experience for me!
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

rattypetrolhead

Re: Intro help please!

Post by rattypetrolhead » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:19 am

If the older boys aren't bothered by the babies, and the babies are just being noisy I'd persevere and stick them in a hamster cage or carrier until they get over their noisy phase. The babies will soon realise that the biggies aren't going to hurt them, and should revert to being pingy babies again :luck:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx